So...a few people voted, a bunch of Republicans got in, and now...two years of gridlock ahead. While what? While we grow economically. And that will only bode well for the Democrats.
As long as the president is from the Blue Party and we continue on this upward trajectory, we will get what we've been wanting for a long time: a Blue Lady Prez.
In the meantime, I'm going to do other things. I've seen this show before.
1. If our country believes the road to happiness is lined with dollars, why do the heads of the fast food industry want to deny their workers this joy? Could it be because we still believe in slavery?
2. If we still live with slavery among our citizens, how can the people who promulgate this peculiar institution still be walking the streets and not, logically, put in prison?
3. If you destroy my air with your effluent and all my nieces and nephews get asthma, why are you not made responsible to sequester and treat every single molecule of your waste? Do we condone this kind of abuse for some purpose?
4. If women are being held down financially, and they are, how can you say we are not a misogynistic society?
5. If transgender members of our society are not given complete equal rights to hold any job anywhere at any time, do we not then understand that this is nothing but bigotry?
6. If children are used as the excuse to stop anything, at all (except for the trafficking of children and any abuse of children including health abuse by corporations) then is this not an abuse of children? Causing them undue ignorance?
7. If a woman's right to choose is removed, is there no end to what else a woman should be told what to do?
8. If guns are allowed for the purpose of forming a militia, shouldn't we be able to form a militia to go house to house to remove all the guns?
9. If Obamacare is so awful, is it because people enjoy watching poor people die as a punishment for not graduating from a solid university followed by a six figure salary and trips to Antigua?
10. If the Republicans take over everything while Obama's duck gets lame, won't this be a great set up for Democrats to take over everything in two years?
I spent the first five years of my life living high up on the Hudson and now that I am living on that river again, something feels correct at a cellular level. The moisture content is right.
I do think this city would have benefited from less greed and less "culture" and more attention paid to its pretty spectacular setting. But I like plants and animals more than another remake of The Elephant Man
. Though I do wish Bradley C. well.
NYC: Come for the theater and restaurants, stay for the groundhogs.
This is my prediction for the 2016 ticket for the Democratic Party Nomination for our executive branch:
A pair of Women: Elizabeth Warren and Hillary Clinton. Together. One ticket.
And I think it is Ms. Warren who is going to reach for the top. Hillary as Biden.
It is time for women to take over. Men, we had our chance and we blew it.
This is my request to the future women who will lead this country:
1. Make capital punishment illegal. It's simply absurd. It does nothing for anyone.
2. Make war illegal, too. Simply enough...you can't declare war on anyone. If someone does declare war, then the entire world has to put a stop to it. Not just us. EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY must agree that war is illegal and must stop all war. This will free up some of our resources, too, so we can get down to the business of educating our populace.
3. Push for birth control. Everywhere on earth. The population has doubled since I was born and it makes me and everyone I know crazy. 14% of all people who have ever lived on earth are alive right now. Freak out with me.
4. Make gender parity on earth a reality by 2030. It can happen. I can't listen to these women screaming about it any longer. They are right. We just have to do it. Now.
5. Make ambition a word that has a new meaning. Ambition that serves the greater good. That greater good is the planet. Once and for all.
6. Solve our energy problems, today. No matter the cost. Force the energy industry to change their tune. Yes, I'm being naive. But this Pollyanna needs you to do this immediately.
7. Here I go being sexist: Use your innate ability to build consent, nonstop. Never flag. Wear everyone down.
8. Lastly: and this is a rough request-- separate church and state worldwide. Figure out a way to make that appetizing. Come on, ladies.
You lead, we'll follow.
Bonus Round: Make half of all cheerleader squads men.
I like the gold leaves.
Event the shorter days are fun. I can go up on my roof and catch the sun going down at 6PM. Perfect time for a sunset. Like being in Africa, near the equator.
Then it will get darker and darker. Saturday we fall back and on Sunday the sun will set about 4:54PM. This is when we all start to need each other.
The darkness. The horrible darkness says to us all, "Come together, ye wretched beasts and do something about this lack of light. Get cozy. Makes meals together. Put up some lights."
And then, after that? It gets really cold.
I am going to use this year as an experiment. Last winter was so awful, you sort of could not believe what was happening to you. Agony. Depression. Disbelief. People, including me, did not fare well.
This year, my goal is to assume it is going to be really really cold outside for three or four months and to accept it, on its terms and then see if my mood can remain sort of perky. Just by accepting it.
In the dark and the cold...you have to sort of take charge of yourself. And you have to be with people with all sorts of warm lights on. And you have to decide what the future holds. It's a start.