- Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/1.8 to f/16
- One LD Element and One XLD Element
- eBAND and BBAR Coatings
- Fluorine Coating on Front Element
- USD AF Motor, Full-Time Manual Focus
- VC Image Stabilization
- Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm
- Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Compatible with TAP-in Console
An ideal focal length for portraiture, the SP 85mm f/1.8 Di VC USD Lens from Tamron is a short-telephoto prime designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount and FX-format Nikon F-mount DSLRs. Incorporating one Low Dispersion element and one Extra Low Dispersion element into the optical design, this lens is adept at reducing chromatic aberrations and color fringing for a high degree of clarity and color accuracy, as well as sharpness and resolution. BBAR and eBAND coatings have also been applied to minimize flare and ghosting for increased contrast when working in strong lighting conditions, and a rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality to benefit shallow depth of field imagery. Classic in terms of focal length yet optimized for the recent breed of high-resolution DSLRs, this portrait-length prime melds a familiar perspective with contemporary performance.
Complementing the optical assets, this lens is also characterized by Vibration Compensation image stabilization, which minimizes the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 stops for sharper handheld shooting. Also aiding in creating sharp imagery, a robust ring-type USD autofocus motor with an optimized USD actuator is used for noticeably fast and accurate focusing performance. This focusing system also lends itself to full-time manual focus control for fine-tuned precision. A moisture-resistant physical construction enables its use in trying environments and the front element has also received a fluorine coating to guard against smudges and moisture from affecting image quality. Additionally, this lens is compatible with the optional TAP-in Console for fine-tuning focusing performance and updating the lens’ firmware.
- An ideal portrait-length prime, this 85mm lens is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, and is also compatible with APS-C models where it will provide a 136mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also affords extensive control over focus placement for greater separation of subjects from the background, as well as the ability to produce selective imagery.
- Both LD (Low Dispersion) and XLD (Extra Low Dispersion) glass elements are incorporated in the 13 elements, 9 groups optical design, and contribute to a marked reduction in chromatic aberrations and color fringing throughout the aperture range.
- eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) and BBAR (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection) coatings have been applied to lens elements to reduce surface reflections and prevent lens flare and ghosting for increased contrast and color accuracy.
- VC (Vibration Compensation) image stabilization is incorporated into the lens’ design to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 stops for sharper handheld shooting in low-light conditions.
- Ring-type USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) motor and an optimized USD actuator are employed for fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance that benefits both stills and video recording. This motor also enables full-time manual focus control without having to shift into a dedicated MF mode.
- Moisture-resistant construction incorporates seals around the lens mount and other areas to benefit working in inclement conditions. Additionally, a fluorine coating has been applied to the front lens element to repel water, fingerprints, and smudges for easier cleaning of the lens surface.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm produces a pleasing out-of-focus quality when working with shallow depth of field techniques.
- An electromagnetic diaphragm system is used to ensure more consistent exposure results, especially at higher continuous shooting rates.
- Compatible with the optional TAP-in Console for updating the lens’ firmware as well as adjusting focus settings via the TAP-in Utility software.
- SILKYPIX Developer Studio software for Tamron is included with the lens, which, aside from enabling basic raw processing and image adjustments, works to specifically correct for various aberrations, including color fringing, distortion, and peripheral light fall-off, using dedicated optical data from Tamron’s SP-series of lenses.
- 20.2MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors
- 3.2″ 1.62m-Dot Touchscreen LCD Monitor
- DCI 4K Video at 60 fps, 8.8MP Still Grab
- 61-Point High Density Reticular AF II
- Native ISO 51200, Expanded to ISO 409600
- 14 fps Shooting, 16 fps in Live View
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF and Movie Servo AF
- Built-In GPS, CFast & CF Card Slots
Bringing the shooting speed and video capabilities required by professional multimedia image-makers, the EOS-1D X Mark II is the flagship model within Canon’s DSLR lineup, and is characterized by its robust processing capabilities and ability to enable a high-end multimedia workflow. At the heart of the imaging system is a full-frame 20.2MP CMOS sensor and dual DIGIC 6+ image processors, which contribute to fast continuous shooting rates up to 16 fps in live view, 14 fps with full-time AF and AE, and an expanded sensitivity range from ISO 50-409600. The sensor and processor combination also avails DCI 4K video recording at 60 fps and Full HD 1080p recording at 120 fps, along with the ability to record on-board to a CFast 2.0 memory card, or uncompressed Full HD video can be saved via HDMI to an optional external recorder. Benefitting stills shooting is an apt 61-point High Density Reticular AF II system, which includes 41 cross-type points for a high degree of precision in varying light conditions, and video shooting is enhanced by Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which makes its first appearance in a full-frame sensor for smooth, quick, and controllable AF in live view. With a versatile set of imaging traits, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II takes its place as a high-performance tool for professional photographers and videographers alike.
Complementing the robust set of imaging specs is an equally robust physical design based on a magnesium alloy body construction that is both dust- and weather-sealed for use in harsh environments. Integrated within the body is a large 3.2″ 1.62m-dot touchscreen LCD for bright, high-resolution live view monitoring and image review, and a large 0.76x Intelligent Viewfinder II is offered for clear eye-level shooting. For versatility in file handling, both CFast and CompactFlash memory card slots are available, and the 1D X Mark II also supports sharing imagery over Wi-Fi, as well as wireless remote camera control, via the optional WFT-E8A Wireless File Transmitter. Additionally, a built-in GPS module permits in-camera geotagging of photos and videos, and also allows for auto time syncing with the Universal Time Code for more efficient file sharing and organization.
20.2MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor and Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors
A redeveloped full-frame 20.2MP CMOS sensor pairs with dual DIGIC 6+ image processors to avail notable image quality and accuracy, as well as fast performance throughout the camera system. The sensor itself integrates a gapless structure with micro lenses to provide enhanced low-light performance and reduced noise levels, and when coupled with the processors an expanded sensitivity range of ISO 50-409600 is available.
The sensor and processors also work together to avail quick shooting performance, with continuous rates up to 16 fps when working in live view. When working with the viewfinder, shooting up to 14 fps is possible along with the ability to record up to 170 raw files in a single burst if using a CFast 2.0 memory card. If shooting JPEG files, an unlimited number of frames can be recorded in a burst, even at full-resolution. If working with a CompactFlash card, the buffer is rated at up to 73 raw frames in a burst, or infinite JPEGs.
In addition to the stills attributes afforded by the sensor, it is also used for recording DCI 4K video at up to 60 fps, and it is the first full-frame sensor to incorporate Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology for precise, controllable, and fast live view focusing performance.
High Density Reticular AF II and Dual Pixel CMOS AF Systems
Benefitting accurate focusing and fast tracking performance, a 61-point High Density Reticular AF II system is employed, which incorporates 41 cross-type points for increased precision as well as a center point that is sensitive to -3 EV. All 61 phase-detection points support metering at effective apertures of f/8 or larger, which benefits the use of teleconverters and telephoto lenses. Additionally, a separate, dedicated DIGIC 6 processor is used for the AF and metering systems in order to maintain quick performance while recording 4K video or shooting at fast continuous speeds. As a whole, the AF system has gained approximately 8.6% in coverage in the center, and 24% in the periphery, for enhanced subject tracking across the image frame, and an AI Servo AF III+ algorithm is used to intelligently and precisely acquire focus in single-point, Large Zone AF, or any other focusing mode.
When working with live view during stills shooting or video recording, a Dual Pixel CMOS AF system is employed that provides incredibly quick and accurate focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network of phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system’s ability to recognize subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
DCI 4K Video Recording
Designed for both professional stills shooting and video recording, the 1D X Mark II supports DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) resolution recording at up to 60 fps at 800 Mbps, along with Full HD 1080p shooting at 120 fps at 360 Mbps for slow motion playback. When recording in-camera, 4K video has 4:2:2 sampling and 8-bit color depth, while Full HD 1080p footage has 4:2:0 sampling. Uncompressed Full HD 1080p video can also be saved via HDMI to an optional external recorder with 4:2:2 color sampling. 4K video is recorded using a central 4096 x 2160 area of the sensor, while Full HD recording makes use of the entire full frame, and a top sensitivity of ISO 12800 is available with 4K or ISO 25600 with Full HD.
Audio can be recorded using the on-board stereo microphone or an optional external mic can also be used via the 3.5mm mic jack. Real time audio monitoring is possible, too, via the 3.5mm headphone jack. The 4K video recording also avails the ability to take 8.8MP still frame grabs during playback and save them as single images.
- A large 3.2″ 1.62m-dot Clear View II LCD monitor is available and features an anti-reflective design for bright, vivid image playback and live view shooting, and its touchscreen interface can be used for intuitive touch-to-focus control.
- Dual CFast and CompactFlash memory card slots allow you to extend your file saving capabilities by permitting overflow recording or in-camera file type separation while shooting. The CFast card slot is compatible with CFast 2.0 memory cards.
- An Intelligent Viewfinder II uses a pentaprism design and offers a bright means for viewing, along with a 0.76x magnification and 100% frame coverage. When using the viewfinder, AF points are highlighted in red for greater visibility in low-light conditions, and the finder can also be configured to display a range of other shooting aids, such as an electronic level, grid, flicker detection, white balance, metering mode, AF information, and other settings.
- A robust magnesium alloy body design is both dust- and weather-sealed to permit working in harsh environments.
- An integrated vertical grip allows for comfortable, intuitive, and efficient handling when working in either vertical or horizontal shooting orientations.
- The included LP-E19 rechargeable lithium-ion battery is rated to provide up to 1210 shots per charge when shooting with the optical viewfinder. The 1D X Mark II is also compatible with LP-E4N and LP-E4 rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, however the top continuous shooting rate will be slightly reduced to 14 fps in live view and 12 fps with AE and AF.
- A redesigned mirror mechanism helps to minimize mechanical vibrations in order to better ensure sharpness during long exposures or fast continuous shooting bursts.
- The high-performance shutter utilizes lightweight carbon fiber blades for quick shooting speeds and is tested for up to 400,000 cycles.
- Extensive connectivity ports allow for the attachment of various accessories, including the optional WFT-E8A Wireless File Transmitter for remotely controlling the camera from a smartphone or sharing files over Wi-Fi with support for the 5 GHz 802.11ac standard.
EOS Intelligent Tracking and Recognition AF
An advanced 360,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor works in tandem with the EOS Intelligent Tracking and Recognition AF system in order to maintain accurate and consistent metering results from subject to subject. High resolution, infrared sensitivity, and a refined detection algorithm all contribute to precise color and shape recognition, using the iSA (Intelligent Scene Analysis) system that quickens both exposure metering and autofocus performance. iTR (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition) AF also uses this exposure and subject recognition technology for improved moving subject tracking.
Other Camera Features
- A built-in GPS module allows you to geotag imagery in-camera as well as auto time sync with the Universal Time Code via satellites. This module is compatible with American GPS, Russian GLONASS, and Japanese quasi-zenith Michibiki satellites for a wide coverage of support.
- Digital Lens Optimizer technology compensates for a range of optical defects from various lenses, including chromatic aberration, distortion, peripheral brightness, and diffraction, and the camera can store lens data in order to avoid having to re-register lenses prior to each use.
- In addition to full-resolution recording, files can also be recorded at reduced resolutions, including M-RAW and S-RAW sizes to save file size and memory card capacity.
- Picture Style settings: Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, and User Defined 1-3.
- Micro Four Thirds System
- 60mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22
- One Aspherical Element
- Multi-Layer Coating
- Stepping AF Motor, Internal Focus
- MEGA Optical Image Stabilizer
- Maximum Magnification: 1:1
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 4.1″
- Rounded 7-Blade Diaphragm
Designed for close-up shooting, the LUMIX G MACRO 30mm f/2.8 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S. from Panasonic is a 60mm-equivalent prime lens designed for Micro Four Thirds mirrorless digital cameras. Its macro capabilities enable a minimum focusing distance of 4.1″ along with a 1:1 magnification ratio for life-size imaging of nearby subjects. One aspherical element helps to control chromatic aberrations and distortions and a multi-layer coating reduces ghosting and lens flare for increased contrast and color fidelity.
In addition to the optical performance, the lens also features a MEGA Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.), which compensates for the effects of camera shake for sharper hand-held shooting. A stepping AF motor and internal focusing design offer fast, smooth, and near-silent focusing performance and the rounded 7-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out-of-focus quality when working with selective focus and shallow depth of field techniques.
- Prime 30mm portrait-length lens provides a 60mm equivalent focal length with Micro Four Thirds cameras.
- Bright f/2.8 maximum aperture is ideal for working in difficult lighting conditions and also offers greater control over the focusing position.
- Macro design provides a life-size 1:1 magnification ratio and a minimum focusing distance of 4.1″ for working with close-up subjects.
- One aspherical element helps to reduce chromatic aberrations for greater clarity and color accuracy.
- Multi-layer coating controls lens flare and ghosting for increased contrast and neutral colors.
- Stepping AF motor and internal focus design provides smooth and quiet focusing performance and functions at a 240 fps signal transfer rate for fast, responsive use.
- MEGA O.I.S. minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper hand-held shooting.
- Rounded 7-blade diaphragm produces a smooth out-of-focus quality when working with selective focus and shallow depth of field techniques.
- 12.2MP Full-Frame Exmor CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processor
- Internal UHD 4K30 & 1080p120 Recording
- S-Log3 Gamma and Display Assist Function
- 5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
- 0.5″ 2.36m-Dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF
- 3.0″ 1,228,800-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
- Up to 5 fps Shooting and ISO 409600
- Fast Intelligent AF, 169 AF Points
- Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC
Making strides in the video arena, the a7S II Mirrorless Digital Camera from Sony offers an impressive blend of sensitivity, dynamic range, resolution, and speed to benefit a versatile multimedia workflow.
Revolving around a full-frame 12.2MP Exmor CMOS sensor, the a7S II is capable of internal UHD 4K recording at 30 fps with full pixel readout as well as 1080p recording at up to 120 fps, all in the XAVC S format. For both stills and video recording, the BIONZ X image processor also pairs with the sensor to enable expanded sensitivity to ISO 409600, continuous shooting to 5 fps, and fast intelligent autofocus with low-light sensitivity to -4 EV. Further enabling working in difficult lighting conditions, 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization compensates for vertical, horizontal, pitch, yaw, and roll camera movements for sharper, smoother handheld recording.
Complementing the 4K recording capabilities is a redeveloped recording setup, including the ability to utilize S-Log3 Gamma and S-Gamut3 in addition to S-Log2, for increasing dynamic range values by up to 1300% to better match high-end post-production workflows. For clearer monitoring potential, an enhanced Zebra function better supports working with S-Log gamma settings and a Gamma Display Assist helps to preview imagery with natural contrast by converting S-Log2 and S-Log3 settings to the ITU709 gamma for easier on-camera viewing.
The a7S II is also characterized by a compact, yet robust, magnesium alloy body design that incorporates a high 0.78x-magnification Tru-Finder OLED electronic viewfinder. With a resolution of 2.36-million dots and a Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating, this finder benefits working in a variety of lighting conditions and is capable of previewing exposure and settings adjustments prior to recording. A rear 3.0″ 1,228,800-dot LCD screen is also available, and features a tilting design to support working from high and low angles. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC allows you to pair mobile devices to the camera for wireless sharing and remote camera control.
Full-Frame Exmor Sensor and BIONZ X Image Processor
A 12.2MP full-frame Exmor CMOS sensor and BIONZ X image processor work together to enable an expansive dynamic range with minimal noise and notable sensitivity from ISO 100-102400, which is further expandable to ISO 50-409600. Coupled with the large individual pixel size the 12.2MP sensor affords, this camera is well-suited to use in low-light conditions.
The sensor’s design also features a new-generation RGB color filter array, as well as a gapless on-chip lens design. Together, these two technologies enable truly efficient light-gathering abilities that further reinforce the low noise, high-sensitivity design. Furthermore, an anti-reflective coating has also been applied to the seal glass of the image sensor to minimize surface reflections, glare, and ghosting for contrast-rich, color-neutral imagery.
The sensor and processor combination also avail a wealth of performance-related benefits to still shooting, including a Speed Priority continuous shooting rate of 5 fps, or a 2.5 fps shooting rate with continuous AF. The Fast Intelligent AF system employs 169 AF points, which is comprised of 25 contrast-detection points and nine central AF points that have been split into 16 segments each, in order to provide both speed and accuracy in low-light conditions down to -4 EV.
Internal UHD 4K Recording and Full Pixel Readout
Internal recording of UHD 4K movies is possible in multiple frame rates up to 30 fps and, based on the 12.2MP resolution, full pixel readout is possible that is void of pixel binning for higher quality imagery with reduced moiré and aliasing. Full HD 1080p recording is also supported in frame rates up to 120 fps, and both resolutions utilize the 100 Mbps XAVC S format contained within an MP4 wrapper with 4:2:0 sampling. The high-speed, 120 fps recording also enables 4x and 5x slow-motion movie recording with the frame rate set to either 30p or 24p.
In addition to high-resolution internal recording, uncompressed HDMI output also enables the use of an optional external recorder for clean 4K recording with 4:2:2 sampling.
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
Packed into the svelte a7S II is a 4.5-stop effective 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization system that compensates for five different types of camera shake encountered during handheld shooting of stills and video. This allows users to confidently use any lens, even adapted lenses, for critical imaging without encountering blur from camera shake.
For long focal lengths, the system will correct for pitch and yaw adjustments. Macro and high-magnification imagery, on the other hand, will benefit from the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation. All shooting styles will get usage out of the roll compensation. All 5 axes of stabilization will function at all times, even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization.
Custom Color Profiles and S-Log3 Gamma
Support is available for the S-Gamut3.Cine/S-Log-3 and S-Gamut3/S-Log3 profiles that enable up to a 1300% wider dynamic range for smoother tonal and color gradations, along with enhanced sensitivity and clarity in shadows and mid-tones. These profiles also lend themselves to greater compatibility within a professional workflow and are well-paired to the Cineon Log gamma curve for versatile post-production grading and color control. The S-Log3 gamma setting also offers an impressive 14-stop wide dynamic range for greater control over the highlights and shadows, while the S-Gamut3.Cine profile can be used to mimic the qualities of scanned negative film with a wide gamut comparable to the DCI-P3 color space.
In addition to the S-Log3 gamma, the popular S-Log2 settings are also available.
Zebra and Gamma Display Assist
An enhanced Zebra function is ideally suited to working with S-Log gamma profiles and aids in monitoring exposure values in high-contrast scenes. Video signal level targets can be set from 0 to 109, and specific ranges can be set to make exposure level adjustments easier.
In contrast, a Gamma Display Assist function is also available that displays scenes with natural contrast when recording with S-Log settings. This function converts imagery to the ITU709 profile for easier on-camera monitoring.
Timecode and User Bit Settings
The a7S II has multiple timecode recording options to meet different workflows. It has the standard ‘Record Run” mode that only advances the timecode when recording, as well as “Free Run” timecode that advances the timecode even when not recording, which can be great for syncing multiple cameras at live events. It can also record timecode in both drop frame and non-drop frame modes. When recording internally the a7S II is also able to output timecode via HDMI.
0.5″ 2.36m-Dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder Electronic Viewfinder
With its 4-lens optical system using double-sided aspherical elements the viewfinder faithfully displays what will appear in your recording, including the effects of your camera settings. You’ll enjoy rich tonal gradations and improved contrast. High-end features like 100% frame coverage and a 0.78x magnification enable comfortable and stable eye-level composition.
In addition to the electronic viewfinder, a rear 3.0″ 1,228.8k-dot LCD monitor has also been incorporated into the design and can tilt 107° upward or 41° downward to better enable working from high and low angles.
Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables the a7S II to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and remotely control the camera’s shutter.
Additionally, PlayMemories Camera Apps are also supported via the built-in Wi-Fi connection, and allow you to personalize the camera’s features depending on specific shooting styles. Apps are available to suit creating portraits, detailed close-ups, sports, time lapse, motion shot, and other specific types of imagery.
Other Camera Features
- Cutting down on mechanical vibrations by 50% is the durable reduced-vibration shutter, which has been tested to 500,000 cycles. An electronic front curtain can be used to reduce vibrations further.
- A Silent Shutter mode can be used to mute the sound of the shutter for working in quiet environments. Up to 5 fps shooting is possible with the silent shutter and the mode can be assigned to a function button for quick on/off switching.
- The top, front, and rear covers of the body have all been made from magnesium alloy for long-lasting durability.
- Enhanced Eye AF can be used with AF-S and AF-C focusing modes, and automatically detects and tracks a subject’s eye for critical focus.
- The Expand Flexible Spot function can be used with AF Area selections to intelligently expand the size of your selected focusing spot if it is not positioned on your subject.
- Focus Magnifier and Peaking functions benefit working with manual focus and allow you to quickly confirm in-focus portions of an image when shooting stills or recording video.
- White Balance settings can be fine-tuned for greater personal control over how a scene’s colors are represented.
- In addition to the included battery charger, the NP-FW50 battery can also be charged inside the camera via USB.
- Adjustable Picture Profile parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-Log3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode (Movie, Still, Cinema, Pro, ITU709 Matrix, White & Black, S-Gamut, S-Gamut3.Cine, S-Gamut3), Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, and Reset
- Scene Selection modes: Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports Action, Sunset, Night Portrait, Night Scene, Handheld Twilight, and Anti Motion Blur.
Picture Effects: Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R, G, B, Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration.
- Creative Styles: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia (Contrast -3 to +3 steps, Saturation -3 to +3 steps, Sharpness -3 to +3 steps)
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16
- One XA Element and Three ED Elements
- Nano AR Coating
- Linear SSM Focus System
- Internal Focus Design
- Focus Hold Button, AF/MF Switch
- Manual Aperture Ring
- Dust and Moisture-Resistant
- Eleven-Blade Circular Diaphragm
A prized focal length for portraiture, the FE 85mm f/1.4 GM from Sony is a fast, short-telephoto lens designed for E-mount mirrorless digital cameras. Characterized by its flattering perspective and fast f/1.4 maximum aperture, this lens is adept at isolation focus for shallow depth of field effects, as well as performing in low-light conditions. The optical design incorporates three extra-low dispersion elements to reduce chromatic aberrations and one XA (extreme aspherical) element, which significantly controls spherical aberrations for a high degree of image sharpness and clarity. Additionally, a Nano AR coating has been applied to limit ghosting and lens flare for increased contrast and color fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions. Pairing a bright f/1.4 aperture with a short-telephoto focal length, this 85mm lens is ideally suited for portraiture and other situations where focus control is paramount.
Complementing the optical assets, this lens is also notable for its inclusion of an 11-blade circular diaphragm to produce smooth, soft-edged bokeh with selective focus imagery. For controlling focus, a linear SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) is employed that is quick and quiet, and also lends more responsive control for manual focus operation. The lens also sports a dust- and moisture-sealed design to support shooting in inclement conditions and a dedicated focus hold button, AF/MF switch, and manual aperture ring lend further control while shooting.
- As part of Sony’s esteemed G Master series, this lens is designed to achieve notably high resolution and sharpness through the correction of a wide variety of spherical and chromatic aberrations. Additionally, these lenses feature robust and intuitive-to-handle physical designs to benefit both photography and cine applications.
- A portrait-length prime designed for full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras, this 85mm f/1.4 is also compatible with APS-C models where it will provide a 127.5mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.4 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also offers a wealth of control over focus position when using shallow depth of field techniques.
- One XA element is incorporated into the optical design, which features superior surface precision for effective control over astigmatism, field curvature, coma, and other spherical aberrations.
- Three extra-low dispersion elements are featured in the lens design and help to reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
- A Nano AR Coating has been applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and color rendering in strong lighting conditions.
- Rounded 11-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
- A linear SSM system and internal focus mechanism provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance and also contributes to more natural, intuitive manual focus control.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions and rubberized control rings benefit handling in colder temperatures.
- Manual aperture ring can be de-clicked for smooth, silent aperture switching to benefit video applications.