Content creation for your blog can be challenging.
Sometimes, the creative juices just don’t flow, and you’re left staring at a blank page.
As bloggers, we’re all faced with the challenge of creating consistent, engaging content, and sometimes it can feel like an impossible task.
But why is creating content so difficult at times? In my experience, we get in our own way.
We can blame distractions, a lapse in creativity and ideas, lack of time or energy but really, it’s often a mentality issue. We need to get our minds in the game and stop tripping over ourselves.
While it can help to read blogs about content creation and experiment with new tools that are fun and generate ideas, we still have to tackle the core problem to overcome this writer’s block: us.
Get Out of Your Own Way: Rethink Blogging
It took me a while to realize this truth. And, even though I now recognize my tendency for self-sabotage, I don’t always catch myself. These roadblocks to content creation usually result from one of three pitfall mentalities:
- I don’t have anything to say (aka I’m out of new ideas).
- I don’t have anything original to say (see above).
- I don’t have time.
Being aware of these problem areas is the first step in obliterating them. Understand you’re not alone when encountering these roadblocks. Hundreds and even thousands of bloggers have faced these same false mentalities.
Rethink Blogging and Take Action!
Let’s take a moment and touch on each of the above mentality pitfalls, offering truth to replace each …
I don’t have anything to say (aka I’m out of new ideas):
- If you feel stuck in the area of idea generation, it’s possible you aren’t making time for strategic thinking. Take a self-inventory as to what books and blogs you’re reading daily, and whether you’re giving yourself time to think and reflect each day.
- If you are investing time in yourself, ideas can flow more freely and content will form.
I don’t have anything original to say:
- Now, part of this mentality is true. There is nothing new under the sun. However, your take on an idea, industry development, trend or topic offers a perspective unique to you. Your readers are following your blog because they enjoy the analysis and thinking you bring to each post.
- Often, reading another blogger’s post on a topic can inspire you to write about something similar, or provide a different take on the subject. This sort of content inspiration happens all of the time. Just be sure to give credit where credit is due.
I don’t have time:
It definitely can feel like there isn’t enough time in the day, and let’s face it: that’s most days! However, the old adage rings true that you make time for the things that truly matter to you. So, look at how you spend your time and weigh your options:
- Can you get up earlier and write first thing in the morning?
- Can you delegate or shift tasks from your plate to allow more time to invest in content creation?
- Can you repurpose evergreen posts or create top lists while you think through new content ideas?
The more you catch yourself falling for these content creation traps, the easier it will be to shake of the funk and move forward into blogging success. You can do it!
Do these roadblocks to creating content ring true to you? How do keep the content ideas flowing? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below! P.S. If you are interested in sharing a guest post, email us.